Prolotherapy is an advanced injection technique that has helped thousands of people in Calgary with their injuries. If you are wondering how prolotherapy can help you with your injuries, here is how it works:
What Is Prolotherapy?
Prolotherapy, in its most basic form, is an injection procedure that stimulates the body’s healing process to strengthen an injury. It targets the connective tissue that is located throughout the musculoskeletal system, such as ligaments, tendons, muscle fibers, and joint capsules. When injuries occur, and the connective tissue is pulled away from the bone the pain starts. The prolotherapy injections strengthen the repair process, relieving pain. While used for one-off injuries, it mainly applies to those suffering from chronic pain.
Many different types of prolotherapy injections can be used on patients, including:
- Inflammatory prolotherapy
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy
- Regenerative injection therapy
- Growth factor stimulation prolotherapy
Each injection works on a different level and offers results. You will need to consult your functional medicine professional about which injection will help you with your pain.
Who Benefits From Prolotherapy In Calgary?
As mentioned above, those suffering from chronic injuries will be able to experience the benefits of prolotherapy in Calgary. People that have the following can experience relief and long-term positive results:
- Chronic ligament and tendon pain
- Chronic neck or upper and lower back pain
- Osteoarthritis joint pain
- Degenerative knee cartilage
- Weakness and instability from injuries
- Those suffering from joint pain limitations
For those who have tried other options, such as physical therapy, corrective surgery and medication, and have experienced no success, prolotherapy might be able to help relieve your symptoms.
How Does Prolotherapy Stimulate Healing?
To understand how prolotherapy works, you have to break it down in finer details.
- When you get injured, your connective tissue (such as your tendons or ligaments) gets torn and stretched away from your joint or bone, destabilizing you and therefore becoming painful.
- A prolotherapy injection targets the painful area explicitly, by causing a mild inflammation near the damaged tissue.
- The body is tricked into repairing the area, sensing that the inflammation needs to be managed.
- The prolotherapy injection will stimulate the body by producing new collagen tissue, resulting in permanent stabilization of the joint.
- While the pain might subside for a time, you will need consistent injections to get long-term results. Depending on your situation, you will need anything between three to ten injections over six months. Only after such consistent stimulus will be body be able to hold against the pain.
Prolotherapy treatment in Calgary is fast becoming one of the most common options for people suffering from chronic, debilitating pain. If you are looking to try a new solution, reach out and speak to your functional medicine expert today.
Calgary Integrative Medicine provides long-term, sustainable health solutions. We aim for the root cause when treating symptoms and our methods are known to improve quality of life. From pain management to anti-aging and chronic illness treatment, at Calgary Integrative Medicine, we want to get you on the road to healing and recovery. Give us a call at (403) 202-7272 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.